Christine

Every part of the human body needs protection of some kind. Helmets for our heads, kneepads for our knees, etc... you get the idea.
Just as it is important to protect the physical body, it is absolutely imperative that we are spiritually and emotionally protected.


I'm going to be super real with you all (not that I'm not all the time... you know what I mean).
This post has been put off for a while (well, first I was hopelessly confused about the writing schedule). However, that's not all...
When I was supposed to write this post on Monday, the words wouldn't come -- truth be told, my heart wasn't prepared. I knew that if I wrote it, two things would happen:


  1. It would be on schedule.
  2. It would be of fleshly "wisdom."

I don't want you to get the impression that any heart is right with God all the time; especially my heart. It is impossible for a Christian girl (even a very committed one) to stay on "a mountain top" with her Savior.


It is not enough to pray that God would give words of wisdom. You have to believe. You have to trust in Him with all your heart. You have to wait on the Lord.


When I sat down to write this on Monday, I confess, I wasn't waiting on Him. I prayed and God challenged my motives.


Why was I writing? Well, to be honest, I was trying to meet a deadline.


Guess what I found out? I'll never be a reporter...


God doesn't care about deadlines. Sure it is nice to be able to rely on someone, but it is better to be genuine and spirit-lead/filled.
When I'm not spirit-filled, there is no way I am able to write a spirit-lead post.
Well, I finally had a nice heart-to-heart talk with God. Apparently, I hadn't guarded it with as much care and vigilance as necessary.



I cannot stress the importance of protecting your heart. Sometimes it can be a challenge... especially with so many distractions in the world (you know what I'm talking about, girls). But you should never let anything become a higher priority than God. If you let one good thing into your life, and it takes over, isn't that an idol?

Virtually anything can become an idol. It is too easy for our hearts to become attached and later detached, broken, and scarred .
We are not meant to be broken -- I just don't believe that it is God's intent for us as His sacred children.
On the flip-side, God can use a broken heart for wonderful things. I heard a saying from Kandee Johnson (a neat Christian make-up artist) that impacted me greatly. She often says that a shattered piece of glass is able to reflect more light after it is pieced back together than a whole piece of glass.


That's similar to us.
As daughters of the King, God refines us, using every crack to reflect back to Him. However, this doesn't happen unless we allow Him. Sometimes we have to endure hard things, and sometimes its painful, but God will always use it for good.


Now, even though God is able to use a broken heart for His good, this doesn't give us any excuse not to guard it.


Don't believe me? Check these verse out:


Proverbs 4:23 says, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."


Philippians 4:7 says, "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."


We are precious to the Lord. And Satan knows that. Therefore, he tries to ensnare our hearts and minds. Obviously, we cannot let this happen.
So, what do we do?


We protect ourselves.


How?


With the word of God which happens to be sharper than a double-edged sword (Hebrews 4:12 )


Ephesians 6:13 says, "Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."


  1. We need to be honest with God about everything in our lives.
  2. We should act like He is standing with us all the time — when we watch TV, turn on our computers, or talk with friends - He is always there.
  3. We need to be hiding His Word deep in our hearts; preparing for the day when He will soon return.
  4. We should be focused on Him.
  5. Don't take your eyes off Him (lets not be like Peter who almost drowned because he took his eyes off Jesus and didn't have faith)



Basically do what the Bible says. And if you talk to Him, I'm confident He will show you the next step you should take.


I know that I'm not perfect... neither is this little post here. So, if you have something/anything to add or share, please do.


Blessings,
Christine
0 Responses

Listen to Set Apart Hearts Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones